Customers are the key to success, which is why understanding and nurturing them is so important. In this lesson we’ll look at the importance of customer touchpoints, how to use them to map the journey customers take online, as well as how improving the customer experience can help you achieve your goals.
Touchpoints are used a lot in offline business, particularly in retail. They can be receipts, bags, signage, customer service counters, and many other points along the way.
- where do I go when I need answers?
- where do I normally spot new brands or businesses?
- what helps me make a purchase decision? and
- do I see a brand again after I’ve made the purchase?
Another option is to ask customers directly about the route they took to find you. A simple face-to-face or online survey can break this journey down step-by-step, making it clearer and easier to visualize.
- think about the journey you take as a customer when you buy something, and apply this information to your business scenario
- if you can, talk to customers to get real-world info on the touchpoints they encounter
- analyze touchpoint performance and optimize your message if required, so that the customer’s needs always come first.